Sunday, March 10, 2013

Andrew writes to the school board...

There is a proposal to close our beautiful elementary school. None of us are happy about this proposed change - Andrew has been especially distraught over the possibility. He asked me if he could donate his own money to help save the school, and if he could write a letter to "cast his vote". Over the past two days, he's been working on this letter:

____________________________________________________________________

Dear school board, this is Andrew Tanner from Riverside Elementary. I'm a 4th grader in Mrs. Lightbournes class. I heard you were talking about shutting down our school. I think this is because of budget cuts, however I think you should give kids a chance to vote and the answer is different, that would be great but I guarantee you that the vote will be more fair. I vote to keep it open.
     Concord elementary is a much older school and they are putting in a Wallmart, and there's bars close to there, and it's not as safe because there is no drop off lane for parents, but there is a small no very very small parking lot. When on the other hand, Riverside has a beautiful parking lot and a really nice drop off lane. There for in my opinion, Concord should close.
     If you don't agree well just consider it. I know in two years I'm going to Aldercreek Middleschool, but I want for there to be years and years more to come of new kindergartners to come and enjoy the beauty of Riverside, and if you don't let us vote, I think it's unfair but just consider it please. And I know many people are going to say this but what the heck, It's your school district and you can decide what to do with it. Although I don't want to see teachers doing this the day we close.....

 He also included this picture: 
____________________________________________________________________

I couldn't be more proud of my boy for being brave and having a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment