Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pukestack Rock

Matthew's kindergarten class went on a field trip to Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach to learn more about tide pools. Knowing that my child is prone to becoming carsick, I decided it was in his best interest to stay OFF the puke-inducing bus and ride with me. Our wonderful NanaDee came along with us to make sure Mom had free hands to help the little guy out if need be. Plus, she made for awesome adult company on a long day of driving.

We started off with a very excited little Matt-Matt. We knew we'd drive much faster than the bus, so we stopped off at Starbucks first - Matthew even got his own little kid's hot chocolate (which he downed in about 30 seconds!) NanaDee got Matthew cozied up in the back seat - he even got his own little personal air source, in case the sickies started getting to him. He was mesmerized by the lights on the fan, though (and I'm not entirely convinced that's not what ended up making him feel nauseous at one point! Ha!)

Anyhow, we made it to the beach without incident. It was a gorgeous drive, and seemed to fly by. Both of my little guys are wonderful travellers! We get to the beach and the busses had just arrived. I walked over as they were unloading to some very flustered teachers, parents and crying kids. Something was obviously awry.

SIX children got carsick and vomited. Holy worst-case-scenario. I would have died. Matthew stated, "I would have been one of them." Oh my gosh. I couldn't believe it. Those poor kiddos. I stepped up to help out where I could. Yes, this totally puke-phobic mama saw crying kiddos and had to help somehow. I hung onto one that was particularly scared and kept telling her it was going to be okay..even though in the back of my mind, I was well aware that there was still a 2 hour ride back happening in a very short while. (The bus ride back ended up being uneventful for them - so I wasn't lying after all!)

All in all, we had a wonderful day. It was a SHORT time on the beach for such a long drive, though. I did the math: 4 hours of driving, 30 minutes in bathroom lines (there were 90 kids total, and maybe half as many parent chaperones), 1 hour on the beach and a 30 minute 'picnic' lunch in the parking lot. I don't think I'd want to do it again without having more play time between the drive time!

Here's our excited little guy, leaving in the morning:


Excited to reach the rock!

So gentle with the starfish:

I will never see this rock again the same way. Haystack rock = massive puke fest. I think I can laugh about it, though. Does that mean my phobia is lessening?


Little man checking out the nesting birds on the rock:

A quick lesson from mom about why you shouldn't throw your garbage in the ocean. (Or why it's okay to sometimes chuck an apple core off the side of the boat.) And a quick brag to NanaDee about how I used cloth diapers, thus saving the environment from nearly 8,000 disposable diapers that would have each taken 500 years to decompose (that's what the sign said!) 

NanaDee was such a wonderful addition to our day. She's super easy going, helpful, fun and everyone loves her!


 Looking for hermit crabs - found a couple!

#1 sign of a successful field trip:

No comments:

Post a Comment